Monday 3 November 2008

Technical Analysis

For my technical analysis I worked on two films. Each a seperate genre, to establish the conventions. I did a teen film and a horror film.

In the horrors I found a lot of use of cuts, close ups and point of view shots. In comparrison, I found that the teen film had less use of cuts, and more panning and tracking. There were less POV shots but more establishing shots. Close ups seem popular in teens to show emotion, whereas in horrors they are usually used to strike fear into the audience, as well as show emotion in the character.

In the horror, I found a lot of non-diegetic sound, many sound effects added in and use of music that represents the mood of the action. In the teen, i found less use of sound effects, more sound that was clearly within the filming and more happy music that follows the demographic of the text.

I found when comparing the two films that not all conventions have their own meaning, that some have many, which is a gift and a burden in respect of film makers, because it can make it sometimes difficult to determine how an audience will intercept a particular message. But it also makes it easier to construct the narrative if the audience are thinking along the lines of what is happening, without burning out the conventions left open to you before they know what is happening.

No comments: